With the 3rd game underway of the Rugby League 9s being played in Auckalnd at the moment I have noticed some major confusion amongst fans on social networks regarding the rules.
Obviously there are some major changes and additives to this weekends competition so I shall explain below.
• Introduction of the Bonus Zone – a five point try for tries scored in the in-goal area between the goal posts at each end. All tries scored outside the bonus zone will remain four pointers
• Introduction of ‘GoldenTry’ – where if teams are drawn at fulltime – in extra time the first team to score a try wins – with the ‘Golden try’
• Goal-kicks will not feature in the tournament with dropkicks taken in line from where the try was scored worth two points. Penalty dropkicks will be worth two points with a field goal in general play remaining at one point.
• Scrums will consist of five players from each team and will only be used in the event of a double knock-on or a mutual infringement.
• In the event of a successful 40/20 kick, play will recommence with a tap re-start to the kicking team 20 metres in from where the ball crossed the touch line.
• Matches will be re-started by the scoring team through a drop kick off
• Referees will have the power to send players to the sin-bin for five minutes for foul play.
Rules provided by NRL .com